Patience; the new endurance sport.

May 13, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesLuzylew's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

UT,

Dec 31, 2007

Female

Goal Type:

Marathon Finish

Running Accomplishments:

I ran my first marathon as a teenager in 1981 with my Dad (The Coronado Marathon). Since then I've run St, George (3x) Utah Valley (3x) Ogden (1 full, 2 halves) Park City (1 x) Boston Marathon (1x) Washington DC (1x) Moab Half Marathon (6x) ,Ye Old Freedom Festival 5 & 10K (a million x) and many others.

But I'm all done with that now.  I'm officially a jogger.

Short-Term Running Goals:

My running goal is to keep on keepin' on.

Long-Term Running Goals:

Jog into the sunset.

Personal:

I like being outside.

Favorite Blogs:

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Saucony ProGrid V Lifetime Miles: 479.51
Saucony Ride Lifetime Miles: 841.34
Saucony Tangent Lifetime Miles: 150.93
Saucony Ride Lifetime Miles: 307.50
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance

9:00/9:02/9:04/9:16/9:02/9:12/9:37/9:41/9:05/9:53/10:19/10:04-- It was tough week for me.  This is a busy time of year.  Luckily Catherine came down and ran with me.  It was so great to see her.  I'll see her more when we're getting ready for Saint George. Today,  I didn't take my dogs this hoping to appease the thousands of old and grumpy people on the trail on this lovely Saturday morning (it's usually pretty crowded on weekends).  Ironically, we never saw anyone the whole first 8 miles (except running past Sasha and Jeff). Then just as people were getting out around 7:00, this stray dog started running with us.  She had a collar, but never left us for 4 miles-so everyone thought she was mine.  I got all the same glares and she wasn't even my dog!  If they were going to glare at me anyway, I should have just brought my own dogs.  I can't believe I sacrificed my dog's morning run, only to be glared at for someone else's dog!  At the very last, the meanest, scariest lady of all ran past that dog (who was standing in  the middle of the trail  watching people go by) while I was "icing" in the river.  The lady turned and glared down the river bank at me and said "A leash would be nice!". I thought about yelling up at her  "It's not my Dog!"--but then started thinking.  Just get over it lady--that dog is not barking, or even in your way.  In fact, maybe people like you shouldn't venture outside if you are inconvenienced by small children, strollers, dogs, or anyone who doesn't wear a straightjacket.  I understand traffic rules where there are bike lanes and cars. I would never bring my dogs to the other end of the trail without a leash.  But are we all so inconvenienced by each other, the only place to feel  a little freedom is in the wilderness or out in the country? I guess I'll be the first one to be arrested when the leash police show up next week. Personally I think being conscientious about letting people pass, training your dogs to heal and sit, is 100% better than a leash--especially those retractable ones.  I choose to live here so I could use this trail to run and walk my dogs.  If you don't like it, there's plenty of trail on the other end of the canyon you should use. Besides which, I feel personally responsible for making the trail a safer place for others by bringing my dogs, can of mace, and a general bravado towards the perverts and drug dealers.  I've run off so many undesireables in the past 10 years, the police know me name and have my phone number.  I feel my vigilantism has paid off.  Creepy stuff has become less frequent in recent years.  I refuse to give up that outdoor space to hobos and high teenagers.  I did that so that me and that up-tight lady could also enjoy the bike trail with less public nuisence.  Man, two long runs in 6 days, and 2 nights of not sleeping more than 4 hours has really wrecked me.  Maybe after a nap I'll feel more civil.

Saucony ProGrid V Miles: 12.00
Comments
From Smooth on Sat, May 30, 2009 at 23:16:40 from 71.32.237.170

That's a lot of mileage in 6 days. GOOD JOB! THANKS for being the trail vigilante. I saw a lot of runners/walkers with their dogs today. None barked or lunged at me. I do feel safer with canine runners around. The only nuisance was the doo doo that I have to watch for on the trail...it's all harmless.

From RAD on Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 00:05:07 from 67.166.99.8

Nice work!! and a big fat AMEN!!! Sorry you got yelled at for other people's dogs, I don't think I would've been so nice and not yelled back. Keep up the good work and I hope you get some sleep with all your work next week!

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Recent Comments: