Patience; the new endurance sport.

May 15, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesLuzylew's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

UT,

Dec 31, 2007

Female

Goal Type:

Marathon Finish

Running Accomplishments:

I ran my first marathon as a teenager in 1981 with my Dad (The Coronado Marathon). Since then I've run St, George (3x) Utah Valley (3x) Ogden (1 full, 2 halves) Park City (1 x) Boston Marathon (1x) Washington DC (1x) Moab Half Marathon (6x) ,Ye Old Freedom Festival 5 & 10K (a million x) and many others.

But I'm all done with that now.  I'm officially a jogger.

Short-Term Running Goals:

My running goal is to keep on keepin' on.

Long-Term Running Goals:

Jog into the sunset.

Personal:

I like being outside.

Favorite Blogs:

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Saucony ProGrid V Lifetime Miles: 479.51
Saucony Ride Lifetime Miles: 841.34
Saucony Tangent Lifetime Miles: 150.93
Saucony Ride Lifetime Miles: 307.50
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance

9:40/8:39/8:54/8:58/8:32/8:38/9:23/8:29/9:43/9:03

I guess I only have 3 gears:  Slow, quick-er, and a tiny bit faster than quick-er.  The effort to achieve quick-er is incredibly uncomfortable.  Unfortunately the difference between the gears is so negligible it's discouraging.  I ran quick-er for several intervals (up to a mile) which only resulted in a few moderate returns.  I started out running along the sides of the trail on the dirt, and then down the jetti to save some pounding for the first 3-4 miles.  I got some better times once I hit pavement again.  But at some points between 4-6 I was pushing 7:40's--but the average m/m were just so unimpressive that I stopped trying very hard.  Mile 8 was easy because I used the triangles (slow, fast, faster every three).  Using the triangles on the trail makes it easy to run faster because I know I'll get a break every fourth one.  Anyway, I did this kind of interval running for most of the10 miles which makes me feel good.  I just hope that after Saturday's long run, Monday's race, and today's 10, I can hack the 22 on Saturday.   I have to have a good 20 miler or mentally I'm trapped.  I just keep thining about the taper weeks afterwards.  Will I be ready, did I do enough?  Did I push hard enough? Will my hamstrings & piriformis cooperate? 

Saucony Ride Miles: 10.00
Comments
From RAD on Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 14:52:00 from 76.27.12.70

You'll do GREAT! nice work today and keeping up the paces and tempo. I understand your discouragement with the average coming out so stinky - seems to happen to me every time!

From Smooth on Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 17:06:17 from 71.36.82.61

NICE workout! You did AWESOME! I know what you mean by the average pace not showing the effort. That's the nature of interval running. The purpose of speedwork is to improve running efficiency. When you run fast, you eliminate the wasted motion or energy. It also improves your VO2max so eventually your marathon pace feels easy. When doing speedwork and tempo runs, focus on good form. I really believe in muscle memory. It has a way of remembering how it feels to run faster with less effort. You are doing great. No worries about the long run on Sat. Half of running is mental. We will have a good run and then taper. We will have fun. I'm bringing chocolate milk and fruits. Kelli's bringing muffins. It's a party!

From LuzyLew on Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 17:20:01 from 208.187.197.42

You're the best Smoothie. Thanks for the encouragement. One of these days I'm going to let you teach me a bonafide interval strategy. This was good information. But let's talk about muscle memory and good form on Sat. I sure hope I pushed VO2 Max today a few times. It sure felt like it. I'll just have to do it more often. Thanks for brining the fruit & milk. I may bring a little sumpin' too (besides the bra...)(for Kelli).

From Smooth on Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 17:23:34 from 71.36.82.61

Woohoo! :) Can't wait!

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):
Recent Comments: